The change in farming practices over the last few decades have become the norm in our lies today, even with the rising evidence proving many of these practices such as the use of pesticides, additives, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers and mass-production techniques to be harmful to humans, animals and the earth as a whole.
Most of us don't think twice before loading a grocery basket full of vegetables and shy away from the higher price of produce marked as "Organic" .
"It is all the same" and "Organic is a sales gimmick" are statements I have heard over and over from my partner but the truth is that the use of chemicals and other products on food, coupled with the manufacturing processes involved, are actually a threat to our health.
With toxic load on the body getting higher and higher we are exposed to things that are not always in our control. Car fumes , Room sprays, Water toxicity, Cleaning products, Makeup, Deodorant, Building materials. You name it!
One thing that I try to control as much as possible is the source of my food.
If you don't trust your grocery shops "organic" labels or if you find them to be too expensive then why not grow your own?
You don't need to have a farm sized garden or expect yourself to be a gardening guru to do this. Just a select vegetable or two is better than none at all. If you just have space for a few pots then that is all you will need to produce at least a portion of your meals.
7 Reasons to grow organic vegetables :
1. You will have no additives in your vegetables. Research by organic food associations has shown that additives in our food can cause heart diseases, osteoporosis, migraines and hyperactivity.
2. There will be no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers used. These chemical products are applied to obtain crops all the time regardless of plagues or weather conditions, and affect the quality of the vegetables. Besides, pesticides are usually poisonous to humans.
Make sure that you buy organic and nontoxic items for your vegetable garden
3. Buy organic seeds and plants, Your vegetables will not be genetically modified (GM). Antibiotics, drugs and hormones are used on vegetables to grow more and larger ones. One of the consequences of this practice are vegetables which look all the same and are usually tasteless. Besides, we end up consuming the hormones that have been used on the vegetables, with the potential risks for our health.
4. Eating your own organic vegetables will be much more healthy for you. They will not contain any of the products or chemicals named above as you will know exactly what you used to grow them.
5. Your own organic vegetables will be much more tasty. The use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, hormones and antibiotics make vegetables grow unnaturally and take the taste away from them. With organic vegetables, your cooking will be enhanced as their flavour will show fully.
6. Organic farming is friendly to the environment. Because you won't use pesticides or other equally harming products on your vegetables, you will not damage the soil or the air with the chemical components.
7. When you grow your own organic vegetables you are contributing to your own self-sustainability and the sustainability of the planet. Small communities have been founded where members exchange products that they grow naturally, thus contributing to create a friendly and better place for us all.
Top 10 Easy Vegetables to grow (Tip: Click on a veggie’s name to see its detailed Growing Guide.)
Tomatoes (bush variety or cherry are easiest)
In the end, eating organic products only means that we do not add anything else to them than they would naturally have. As you can guess, additives, fertilizers, pesticides or hormones are not components of naturally grown food. To better care for your health, grow your own organic vegetables -and a few pots is all you need.